Give thanks. We have enough junk…
Top 5 Reasons to Celebrate Thanksgiving and not Black Thursday
- Banish Regrets – Dreams aren’t fulfilled by scoring a $5.00 whatever. Clothes are outgrown. Toys become landfill. Electronics are outdated. Dream big! On Thanksgiving, plan life’s next big adventure. Really LIVE LIFE while you have it!
- More Family Time – A $5.00 whatever isn’t worth missing your children’s youth or your partner’s companionship. You work hard to be able to buy stuff. Buying stuff forces you to work more. It’s a vicious cycle. Buy less. Live more. Spend Thanksgiving reflecting on simplifying your life.
- Build Relationships – Instead of harboring resentment, develop healthy relationships or release unhealthy ones. Work on relationships this Thanksgiving. Holding a hand is more comforting than holding the remote control of a cheap TV.
- Time Slips by Quickly. – Use it wisely. Spend Thanksgiving with friends you call by name, Randy, Sam, Bob, and Jean. The names Wal-Mart, JCPenney, and Sears will mean NOTHING on your deathbed.
- Choose Happiness – What was the most special gift you received on your 7th, 27th, or 37th Christmas? Can’t remember? Me neither. I do remember the year our church congregation had a snowball fight after midnight Mass. We didn’t shop on Thanksgiving or make someone else sacrifice family time to be at work for the laughter we shared. Laughter is free and easy to come by when you engage with people and truly live.
Spend holidays making memories. They are lasting gifts. If your memory fails, the people you made memories with will be at your side to hold your hand in the end. Give Thanks, Jackie Allison